Each year our education partner UOW College Australia awards a scholarship (s) to a player or volunteer, affiliated with the Illawarra Rugby League Competition, to study an eligible UOW College Australia program with a view to encourage and assist Scholarship recipient(s) to achieve their educational goals.
Applications open in June each year and are awarded in September. The successful candidate/s then undertake their chosen course of study in the following academic year.
Scholarship Assessment and Selection Process
- All Scholarship applications are reviewed and assessed by a panel of UOW College Australia and Illawarra Rugby League representatives.
- Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria will be invited to attend an interview. Applicants must be available to attend this interview. Applicants who are unable to, or do not, attend the scheduled interview will no longer be considered for the award of the Scholarship.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their Scholarship application in writing following the announcement of the Scholarship recipient.
About the Scholarship
Scholarship: One (1) full fee-paying scholarship up to the Scholarship Value will be awarded to a scholarship recipient*.
Scholarship Value: Up to a maximum value of $10,000.00 (in course fees only, no cash payment to scholarship recipient)
Eligible Courses: All UOW College Australia programs except English language courses are eligible for the Scholarship. For a full list of UOW College Australia courses, please visit the UOW College Australia website here
The Scholarship is applicable at all UOW campuses where UOW College Australia courses are offered
Sponsorship Categories and additional criteria:
One (1) applicant only will be chosen from all nominations received in the following categories: Humanitarian, Sporting Excellence, Volunteer
- In receipt of Centrelink or demonstrating financial hardship; or,
- Disrupted schooling; or,
- Home and environment responsibilities; or,
- English language difficulty; or,
- Personal illness/disability.
- Evidence of previous sporting success.
- Demonstrate involvement in rugby league at club level
The following general eligibility criteria must also be satisfied:
- Must be a registered player or volunteer of the Illawarra Rugby League competition; and,
- Must be minimum 16 years old; and,
- Successfully demonstrate why you would like to receive this Scholarship and explain how the course will be used to advance your studies and/or career in the future.
*Scholarship recipients who are eligible for a NSW Government Smart and Skilled funded full fee exemption will be required to access this funding in lieu of a UOW College Australia and Illawarra Rugby League Scholarship. Scholarship recipients who are eligible for a NSW Government Smart and Skilled funded partial subsidy are required to access this funding; the Scholarship will cover any remaining student contribution to the maximum value of $10,000.
The scholarship recipient is expected, within reason, to represent the IDRL and UOW College Australia at such functions deemed appropriate to promote the both organisations and the scholarship program during their scholarship tenure.
This may include attendance at a media event to announce the scholarship and appear in promotional materials, including on the IDRL and UOW College Australia websites, social media and other marketing collateral.
2020 Winner: Teagan Berry, Stingrays of Shellharbour
In the first two years the committee was unable to split candidates, awarding two scholarships.
2019 Winners: Russell Woodard (UOWC) with winners Melissa Spero (Corrimal) and Tammy Fletcher (Corrimal).
2018 Winners: Nat Blud (Collegians/Thirroul); Matthew Thompson (Avondale)
Watch the 2019 promotional Video>>